- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-inch piece of fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/2 cup tomato puree
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken pieces and cook until browned on all sides. Remove the chicken from the skillet and set aside.
- In the same skillet, add the onion and cook until softened and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add the cumin, paprika, garam masala, turmeric, coriander, and cayenne pepper (if using) to the skillet. Cook for another 1-2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the tomato puree to the skillet and stir to combine. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the cooked chicken back to the skillet and stir to coat with the tomato sauce.
- Stir in the yogurt and heavy cream. Bring the sauce to a simmer and cook for 5-10 minutes, until the sauce has thickened.
- Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Serve the butter chicken over rice or with naan bread. Garnish with chopped cilantro. Enjoy!
The preparation time for this butter chicken recipe using olive oil is approximately 30-40 minutes, depending on your cooking experience and efficiency in the kitchen.
This recipe can serve around 4-6 people, depending on the serving size and appetite of your guests. If you need to serve more people, you can easily double the recipe to make a larger batch.